Top 10 List of Immigration Considerations for 2019

1. Become a U.S. citizen

If you have had your green card for at least 5 years (3 if you are married to a U.S. citizen), you should seriously consider becoming a U.S. citizen. Only citizens can vote for President, and citizens can almost never be deported. And in some situations, we can help you become a citizen without taking the citizenship test!

2. Apply for a Green Card

If you are married to a U.S. citizen, or you were previously married to an abusive citizen-spouse, you may be eligible to receive permanent residence – green card. Or if you have held asylum or refugee status for at least one year, you may be able to get a green card.

3. Renew your Green Card

Don’t wait until you need to travel outside of the United States, or renew your driver’s license, and learn that your green card is expired! Green Card renewals can take a year or more, so, do it now.

4. U-Visa

In some circumstances, regardless of your immigration status, if you were a victim of a certain crime, we can file for your U visa and eventual permanent residence. If this applies to you, call our office right away.

5. Family

Stop putting off the sponsorship of your family members overseas. If you are a permanent resident or U.S. citizen and eligible to petition for a family member back home, do it now! Depending on your immigration status and the family relationship, it can take one year to over ten years to bring a family member to the U.S.

6. Fight your deportation

If you are in removal proceedings or Immigration Court, talk with a lawyer to see if you have a defense against deportation before you just agree to be deported. There are many defenses available, especially for those who have lived in the U.S. a long time, have U.S. citizen family members, and no criminal history.

7. Appeal your case!

Even if you lose your case or your application is denied, you may be able to appeal the decision. But most of the time there is a very strict time limit on filing the appeal, so, don’t delay.

8. Crimes

If you are not a U.S. citizen and you are facing criminal charges, you need to speak with our office to make sure that your criminal matter does not result in your deportation!

9. Asylum

If you are new to the United States and fear your home government, think about applying for Asylum before it is too late. In most cases, you must file for asylum within ONE year of your arrival in the U.S.

10. Employers and Business Owners

If you want to file for work visas to hire workers from abroad, contact us to discuss your options. Immigration based on employment can take several months to several years, so, don’t delay.